Monday, November 30, 2009

Self Motivation?

I was sitting, contemplating the other day.  I was deep in thought about how am I going to do all the things that I want to in regards to music.  I was wondering if I had the self-motivation to complete the tasks I've put in front of myself.  Then I started to think about Self-Motivation.  Is it a real state of mind or is it one of those things that you either have or don't have, or is it something you have to cultivate?

I believe it is the latter.

Motivation is something that needs a lot of cultivation.  It needs sunshine and to be watered regularly just like a garden.  If it doesn't get those things, it withers and dies.  I know it's cliche but true none-the-less.  Below is a list of aspects that keep motivation an active part of my musical goals.  Even though I'm not great at being consistantly motivated:

Preparing the soil = Hone your skills (Practice, Practice, Practice) Dream a little!
Planting = Organize and get down to the nitty gritty, diversify your talents and directions so you have many possible directions.  Create goals both short and long term.
Sunshine = Have JOY in the work! If you love music, it will love you.
Water = Faith in your abilities and enough confidence to get past rejection and set backs.
Clearing Weeds = Refining your work, keeping your goals/aspirations free from time and energy suckers

Over the next little while, I will go over each of these in depth and create my own motivation calender so I can chart my own progress towards a particular goal or set of goals.  I'll put it out there so anyone can see my failure or success.  

Authors Note:
I'm not trying to be some know it all musician.  The truth is, I am not famous and not particularly successful (Atleast not in a monitary way)  and I am terrible at following my own advice.  I know that not many people read my blog and I don't expect anything to come of it.  I am writing all of this for MY benefit.  If anyone gets anything out of it, that would just be a bonus.  So there! Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

No comments:

Post a Comment